Whew! I did it! My first LIVE SewAlong!
Apart from my husband stepping on and embedding a sewing machine needle in his foot halfway through (sorry honey!), I think it went pretty well!
I loved the opportunity to interact with the viewers and answer questions in real time. It is so satisfying to watch someone gain confidence as they sew along and create their first garment, to offer suggestions, tips, and encouragement along the way! I even learned some new things, and a rockin’ pair (my 8th!) of Brassie Joggers in Knitpop Yoga knit to show for it!
In case you missed the live broadcast, you can watch the whole thing below!
Here’s a quick Q and A for questions that came up during the event:
- What type of tape do you use to secure the pockets before you stitch?
- What kind of knit stay tape do you use on the pocket edges?
- I use Fusible Bias Stay Tape found on amazon here
- What kind of snap/grommet press do you have?
- What type of pattern weights do you use?
- I use large washers from Lowes and bean bag pattern weights here
- Do you use your coverstitch machine at all?
- Yes! It comes in handy for the pocket edges and the hemming, but I wanted to show how you can do a decorative sewing machine edge as well.
- What machines do you have?
- I have this sewing machine. It was quite an investment, but clearly one I use alot!
- This coverstitch (Janome 1000CPX), BUT, someday I want a BLCS 2!
- And two of these sergers (so I don’t have to re-thread as often!).
- I would HIGHLY recommend buying your machines from a dealer- they offer support, classes and service (in most cases)
- If I’m just using a sewing machine, what type of stitch should I use?
- I would recommend a stretch stitch- it looks like a little lightening bolt (shown in video) for your seams, some sort of decorative or longer stitch for your topstitching, and a long straight stitch (I like 3.0MM for my waistband casing)
- There is a great stitch review on this blog
- Where did you get your twill tape? What width is it?
- I got my twill tape from www.twilltape.com, but you can also find it on amazon here. I use 1/2″. Make sure to fray check your edges!
- What size grommets do you use?
- I use 7mm grommets
- My fabric doesn’t press well. What should I do?
- Use a strip of interfacing or washaway wonder tape to fold up and mark your hem, or mark it with a long basting stitch, sew the hem, and remove the basting.
- Where do I find the yoga hack details
- Find the yoga hack here on the Greenstyle Blog
- What fabric are these?
- They are Knitpop Yoga knit– its amazing stuff!
See the Whole SewAlong Series HERE
Specific Post Links:
Lace Hack HERE
Scoop (not topstitched) pocket hack HERE
Printing and Fitting HERE
Supplies Post HERE
Don’t forget you can still enter to win a pattern prize by sewing up a pair of Brassies and posting them in the Album inside the Event!
Don’t have your pattern? Grab it HERE (use the coupon code inside the event if it’s prior to 6/18/17! Link and code in the description at the top)
Do you have a hack you’d like to see? Or a place you need help with? Comment below!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Before I end this post, I have to give a HUGE shout-out to my wonderful husband, who stood still and quiet for 1.5 hours shooting this video, and who never complains about all the photos, computer/blog support, and time spent in my sewing room. I couldn’t do this without him! Thanks honey!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. I don’t make alot of $$ from them, but they pad my paypal account a little so I can do more fun sewalongs! Thanks for your support!